Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Letters from my Father...


I try you know, to be calm, to have my head on my shoulders, to be sensitive to everyone around me and their problems, to not over react, or rather, react at all, to smile benignly when all I want to do is smash your head on the wall, not your, his, and hers, and if you disagree with me, yes, yours too...I try! And well, to the utter dismay of my ego, I think I do it pretty well these days. I smile more, I ignore, I bite my tongue and hold back...oh what has become of me :(


I do it only for one person. I do it for my Father.


Fathers and daughters have a special bond. Ahmmm...really? All I remember of my father as I grew up is a stern man with a thick black moustache, whose entry demanded a thick, cloudy silence, with the eldest and the youngest in the house running for cover. To burn in hell was welcome, but to cross his path on a typical day, not really! All the daughter-y bonding happened with Maa, all whisperings of who said what to whom in school, to be wrapped up before Baba came back home. All phone calls hushed and put under cover. But, secrets were safe with mom, right? Apparently not. As I grew up into...well, me, everything reached his ears. :(. And to his shock and mine, he realised I had turned into him! All my life I tried being my mom, without noticing that I had grown into dad.


It irked me at first, well ofcourse, everything irks me at first...but then I grew up. I met weird people, fell into weirder situations, and as I crawled out of them, I realised Dad's way was the best way! You save your ass, and you kick theirs :) And then, he wrote me a letter. And then, another one. As i rediscovered the man I grew up all my life with, I realised I know no one better than I know him. Ohk, maybe a couple of others...but hurrah! my dad was me :)


If there's anything that makes me proud of who I am, cynical, irritable, rude, hyper, short tempered...this is it. And only this!

5 comments:

Atreyee said...

Sumana toke j ki mishti lagchhe chhobi tay! puro gulu-gulu :). u r a nice girl. :) besh bhalo laglo pore.

Sumana said...

sei gulu gulu bhaab aar gyalo na :(

Atreyee said...

setai ki bhalo noy?

Kuntala said...

Sumana, sundor likhechho. baba maa hoye jawa theke palano jayna se na hoy bujhlam, kintu ami bechhe bechhe dujoner kharap jinisgulo peyechhhi. bhalogulor chhNitephota noy. eta just unfair.

Sumana said...

jah...ki je bolo! ekebarei mante parlam na.